Monday, June 16, 2014

Are We There Yet?

Read: Proverbs 3:1-8


Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.                   
                                                                                                                      Proverbs 3:5-6


     Do you remember taking any long trips as a kid? I had a lot of brothers and sisters so we didn’t take many vacations, but I did have the opportunity to take a lot of trips with our youth group. We went to the Grand Canyon, Pike’s Peak, Mexico, the boundary waters of Canada, and many other places in between. Because each trip began in Indiana where I grew up, those were some very long trips. Inevitably, someone would lose their patience as we traveled and begin to ask, “Are we there yet?” over and over. I suppose that is why kids are famous for asking that question. “What do you mean, ‘Are we there yet?’ Does it look like we’re there? The bus is still moving,” was the answer that came back most of the times the question was blurted out.
     As I became an older teenager and then moved on to college, I began asking that question of God. I was starting to get impatient with how He was leading me in my life. I knew that ultimately God had called me into the ministry, but I wanted answers. I wanted Him to just tell me who I would marry, where I would live, and where I would be serving with my life; and I wanted to know it right then! I began to take matters into my own hands when I didn’t feel that God was answering soon enough. In essence, what I was doing was telling God what my plans were and how I wanted my life to be. I was just asking for Him to approve so I could tell everyone that “this” is what God wanted for my life.
     God had other ideas for me, however. He began to show me that I didn’t have to know the plans for my life ten steps down the road. I only had to know the next step. As I trusted Him with that step forward, God would show me the next step, then the next and the next. He was waiting for me to ask Him what He wanted for my life and let Him show me the path to take. He was asking me to allow Him to take control. No longer was it “this is what God approved for my life,” but “this is the plan God has laid out for my life.” My life has worked out so much better since I allowed Him to fill in the details.
     Don’t get ahead of God’s plans for your life. Don’t lose patience. Some day all the plans God has for you will come to fruition. Some day “it” will come. In the meantime, stay as right with God as you know how, and He will show you each step you need to take.


Quote of the day: “When we know God’s heart, we will never question His will."


No comments:

Post a Comment