Wednesday, April 16, 2014

"Unanswered" Prayers

Read: Matthew 26:36-45


And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.                                                                                                      Matthew 26:39 


     I’ve only dated three girls in my whole life: one I liked in high school, one I dated in college for a few months, and my wife, whom I met just after I graduated from college. After I broke up with one of those girls (whom I will not reveal), I prayed that God would allow us to get back together, and that He would allow us to be married. I really liked her, and I really thought she was “the one” God had for my life. As time wore on and things never worked out for us to get back together, I began to question why God wouldn’t hear my prayer. She was a good girl and was headed in the same direction I was. What could God possibly see as a hindrance to our getting married? When I finally met my wife, I found out that I had been sadly mistaken in my thinking. I became so thankful that God did not answer my prayer. My life has been wonderful in ways I’m sure it never would have been if God had granted my foolish request.
     I’m left to wonder how many other times I’ve prayed for things that God didn’t answer that I sort-of got upset about, but that God knew all along was not best for me. When we pray, and it feels as if He doesn’t hear us, it may not always be a bad thing. Additionally, God can answer our prayers with a “no,” as well. Although “yes” is what we most often want to hear in answer to our requests, “no” is also an answer to our prayers. We can be assured that whether we get a “yes” or a “no,” God is always going to do what is best for us.
     Instead of being upset that God didn’t give you what you were asking for, or didn’t give you the answer you wanted to hear, thank Him for loving you the way that He does and for looking out for your best interest. Remember, God even had to tell His own Son “no” when he asked Him to let the cup of death pass from Him. God knew what was best for His Son and for mankind. As painful as it may have been to see Jesus suffer the way He did because the answer He gave was “no,” God watched victory and honor come to His Son as a result of the path God chose for Him to walk. As our Father, God may not always do what we want, but He will always do what we need. We can depend on the fact that sometimes the “unanswered” prayers are the best ones for us.

 
Quote of the day: “Someday everything will make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason.”



No comments:

Post a Comment