Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Cry of His Child

Read: Romans 8:12-17


For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.                              Romans 8:15


     I was awakened in the middle of the night last night to the cries of “Daddy! Daddy!” coming from my son Jackson’s bedroom. Now, I am not a light sleeper. It’s changing  a little now, but I think if a freight train had rumbled through the middle of our house, I would still be asleep when it passed out the other side. There are not many things that can wake me out of a beautiful sleep. However, there is one thing that can: it is the cry of my child. I could tell something was wrong with Jackson, so I ran into his bedroom to see what he needed. He had decided he would sleep on the floor in his sleeping bag since a guest was using his bed for the night. During the night, he had come out of his sleeping bag, and he awoke afraid that something was going to get him if he didn’t get back into the sleeping bag. The only problem was, it was dark, and he couldn’t find the hole at the top of the sleeping bag. He started to panic, and that is what caused him to instinctively yell my name to ask for help. Of course, I helped him back into the sleeping bag, and he drifted instantly back to sleep as if nothing had happened, assured that his daddy was there for him when he needed him. 
      Consider our Father. He holds the entire universe in the palm His hand - all of the stars, planets, and galaxies that have been discovered and the millions that have not. He is the creator of it all, and He has the power to sustain it. In the middle of it all, there is this tiny little planet called Earth, inhabited by billions of minute specks called people. Though He has all power to do anything He pleases, there is one thing that can bring the ear of this omnipotent God down to this earth: it is the cry of His child. Jeremiah 33:3 says, “Call unto me and I will answer thee.” That is all He is waiting for. If He can clothe the lilies in the  fields, and if He will not miss the funeral of sparrow, then don’t you think that He cares enough to take the time for a child who is calling upon Him as his Father?        
     What do we have to be afraid of? What is there to worry about? When Jackson called to me in the middle of the night, he did it instinctively because he knew that I could take care of his problems; if I was there, everything would be alright. When we face difficulties or trials, our first instinct ought to be to call on our Father. He will take our burdens upon Himself, and we can calmly go back to sleep, assured that He is there for us when we need Him.



Quote of the day: “Peace is not the absence of trouble, but the presence of Christ.”



No comments:

Post a Comment