Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I Am Pure

Read: 2 Timothy 2:20-22


Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.                                                2 Timothy 2:22


     When I was in high school and college, I used to sit and dream about whom I would someday marry. Call me a hopeless romantic if you want to, but I always looked forward to the day I would walk down the aisle with my new wife. Back then it felt like it would never happen. I used to wish that God would come down in human form or just speak audibly to me and tell me who this girl would be. But He didn’t, and, like everything else in life, my day finally came. My wife says I stole her heart so she got me back and took my last name. My greatest accomplishment was not only in finding a wonderful girl, but in being able to stand hand-in-hand at the altar and kiss that girl, knowing that we were both pure before a holy God. It was just what I had dreamed of for all those years, but the preparation for that day was a long time in the making.
     I began praying long before our wedding day that God would show me the right girl when it was time. I didn’t want to just settle for any person that came along for the sake of saying that I was in a relationship, or that I was married. I wanted to be with the one God had set aside for me from the beginning of creation. Long before we even met, I began praying for the girl who would become my wife that, God would reveal to her that I was the right one for her, as well. And God has worked it out so wonderfully.
     I also prayed long before our wedding that God would help us to be strong to stay pure. One of the greatest gifts you can give your wife on your wedding day is the gift of purity. It will prove to her that you love her more than you love yourself. It shows her that you value her, and that she is more important to you than a physical desire. Purity doesn’t just happen because you want it to, however. It happens because you made a deliberate choice to stay pure, and you begged God for help in fulfilling that choice. God never gives a command in the Bible that He does not give us the strength to keep. Staying pure is a command, and God will certainly help us to keep ourselves that way.
     Your wedding day will come – probably a lot sooner than it feels like it will right now. Decide that on the day you stand before God and your new bride you will be able to say, “I am pure.”

 
Quote of the day: “No man is born pure; purity is the outcome of conflict. The pure man is not the man who has never been tried, but the man who knows what evil is and has overcome it.”                                   - Oswald Chambers



No comments:

Post a Comment