Monday, March 24, 2014

His Plans are Better

Read: Jeremiah 29:4-14


For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 
                                                                                                  Jeremiah 29:11 


     When I was in college ten years ago, I used to sit and wonder where I would be ten years from then. Would I be married? Who would I be married to? How many kids would I have by then, if any? Where would I be living? What would I be doing as my life’s work? I tried so hard to picture those things in my mind’s eye. Well, here it is, already ten years later, and I never dreamed that this is where I would be. See, I had my whole life thought out. I knew what I wanted and I knew everything would work out the way I had planned. I had written out my entire plan for my life and asked God to sign it at the bottom so He could approve.
     But that is not what God wanted from me. God did not want a page full of my plans that He could sign off on and say, “Well, if that’s what you want, then even though it’s not My best for you, I guess you can have it.” God was saying, “Just give your plans over to Me and let Me write them for you. The plans that I have for your life are so much better than what you imagine.” God wanted me to give Him a blank piece of paper with my signature at the bottom and let Him fill in all the details the way He had planned. And I can tell you that what my life is now is so much better than what I ever dreamed it would be way back then.
     Perhaps you are wishing you could just go to a fortune-teller (hopefully you will not) and let them tell you everything that the future holds. The wait and the unknown is sometimes an excruciating agony. I know, for I’ve been there. It is tempting to want to find out ahead of God’s plan or to try to push ahead with your own plans. But God, in His wisdom, has everything laid out for you in a beautiful arrangement. When you allow Him to be the conductor, then there is no telling what beautiful music can be made through your life.
     As I write, I am wondering what my life will be like in another ten years. Will I still be doing what I am doing now? How many kids will I have altogether? Where will I be living and what will life look like? Obviously, right now I do not know, but I do know that I have put it into the hands of God and that, as I allow Him to direct each step, He can write a magnificent story that is so much grander than any I could ever compose.

 
Quote of the day: “I don’t worry about what my future holds because I know Who holds the future.”




No comments:

Post a Comment